Thursday, August 5, 2010

"Inception" - in theaters

I would love to spend a day inside the brain of Christopher Nolan. Seriously.

To steal a turn of phrase from Kathy Griffin, I'd just like to say that this movie delivered like Domino's.

I mean, holy crap.

I've seen it twice, which I think has to be a must. I caught so many things the second time around that I had missed in my first viewing, not to mention that the anti-gravity fight scene is worth seeing again.

The story of "Inception" revolves around Leonardo DiCaprio's character (and really, can Leo do no wrong?), Cobb, who is a very specific kind of thief. He and his team specialize in entering your dreams and stealing your secrets. Cobb's back story is also quite sad - his wife (Marion Cotillard) committed suicide, but Cobb is being blamed and hence, can't go back to America nor his children. All he wants is his name cleared, and when Ken Watanabe's character, Saito, offers just such a thing, Cobb jumps at the chance.

What Saito wants is for an idea to be planted in someone's head, which is what they call Inception. The problem is that to do that, the dream thieves must go deeper into the dreamer's subconscious than is safe.

It's all somewhat confusing to write about, but on film, it isn't as challenging. Trust me, I was worried when I saw it that I wouldn't understand what it's about. It was needless.

What makes this movie is the team of thieves. First there's DiCaprio, all brooding and heartsick. Then there's Arthur, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is all cool and collected (not to mention smokin' hot). The British guy, Eames, played by Tom Hardy, was my favorite. He added the little bit of humor that the film needed, and his bickering with Arthur is adorable. Then there's the architect, Ariadne, played by Ellen Page. She's all doe-eyed and eager, but at the same time, has a handle on what Cobb is going through and worries about the rest of the team's safety.

Cillian Murphy plays Robert Fischer, in whose head the idea needs to be planted. I really enjoy Murphy as an actor. He has a natural grace in the way he speaks that I find appealing.

So on the CWeave scale, I rate this movie a solid 9. I was a little disappointed that everyone's dreams were so realistic. I was waiting for a unicorn to walk across the screen at some point, but alas, it didn't happen. I'm awarding bonus points to Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who did almost all of his own stunts, including the anti-gravity fight scene. Which he does while WEARING A SUIT. Spectacular. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment