Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Academy Awards

Even though this is technically a movie review site, I have to put in my two sense about the Academy Award nominations. I know that they happened over a week ago, but I took a long time to dwell on what I was going to say about them. And here it is:

Basically it all boils down to the fact that if "Avatar" wins Best Picture or James Cameron wins for Best Director, I'm going to lose a little bit more faith in the Academy. Yes, "Avatar" was an epic movie, with dazzling special effects and millions of dollars at the box office, but seriously? As a friend of mine put it, the storyline is basically a retelling of "Cowboys and Indians". The dialogue is weak and corny in a lot of areas, and Cameron really needs to learn how to edit. A shorter film would have delivered just as hard of a punch.

And Cameron for Best Director? I'm sorry, but one shouldn't get an Oscar simply because they know how to use a computer. That's what the Visual Effects Award is for. I'm just saying...

Comparing "Avatar" to the other Best Picture nominees like "The Hurt Locker" (which is my personal favorite for winning) or "Precious" or hell, even "District 9", it falls short. I just hope the Academy can look past the millions of dollars and see that the story behind the blue skin doesn't add up to much.

And that's my take. Love it or hate it? Leave me a comment, and we can discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment