Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Zombieland" - on DVD

I'm fairly certain that if the zombie apocalypse were to happen, that I would survive (and not just because a quiz on Facebook told me so). I've seen enough crappy horror films to know that you should get your hands on a lot of weapons, a good supply of food and water, and a really nice SUV in order to make your way in the zombie world.

That being said, I thought "Zombieland" was utterly fantastic. I saw it in the theaters and recently purchased it on DVD. It is extremely tongue-in-cheek, following a set of rules set forth by Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg, the epitome of a computer nerd turned unlikely survivor). These rules flash up on the screen at pertinent times, and add more humor to the movie itself. The character of Columbus is certainly lovable. His disposition is reminiscent of Michael Cera at times, but I can't ever picture Cera holding a shotgun and shooting a zombie in the head with it. When Columbus hooks up with Tallahassee, and subsequently Wichita and Little Rock, the opportunities for humor and horror run aplenty.

Personally I thought Woody Harrelson made this movie. As Tallahassee, a banjo-playing, pick-ax swinging, defender of the human race zombie killer, he was funny and heartwarming all at the same time. While his Oscar nomination for "The Messenger" was probably well-deserved, in my opinion he could have received one for this movie too. I find that comedic movies rarely get the recognition they deserve from the Academy. Excuse me for my little rant here, but it's true. It is my belief that you can make almost anyone cry, but you cannot make everyone laugh. I'm just saying...

I was asked to review the Blu-Ray disc of this film, but unfortunately, I don't have a Blu-Ray player. However, I took at a look at the packaging, and it seems as if the special features are the same as on the regular DVD. The one advantage of the Blu-Ray is that it comes with the digital copy, which, let's face it, is key to LIFE. Best Buy sells a two-disc DVD edition, but I wasn't able to get my hands on it. Unfortunately there's no gag reel (which is my absolute favorite special feature), but there are some deleted scenes, a commentary, and a few behind-the-scenes extras.

So on the CWeave scale, I give this film a 9 (close to brilliance). It's funny, touching, gory, and has one of the best cameos EVER. I won't spoil it for you here, but trust me, it's fabulous.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Courtney! I appreciate it! Looks like I'll be picking it up just in time for the snow this weekend.

    ReplyDelete