Monday, February 1, 2010

"Legion"

I hate horror films. You'll never see me review one on this blog because I simply refuse to watch them. I guess what angers me most is that the characters in them are always such morons. "Wow, there was a loud sound coming out of the basement that sounded menacing. Let's go check it out!" is often the sort of situation that pops up in those types of films, and I can't stand the stupidity of the characters that come up with these blatantly BAD ideas.

So what does that have to do with this film? Well, "Legion" had the makings of being a slight horror film. There was a theme of possession that I wasn't expecting, but it was more of an action film than horror. Plus, I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic films that show the strength of character that mankind possesses in those "end of the world" type of situations, so I was pretty excited to see "Legion".

All in all, this movie was entertaining, but I'm happy that I didn't have to pay to see it (Christmas movie certificates are always a welcome gift). The story itself was a good idea. Having angels wreak death and destruction upon mankind because God has lost faith in the human race is compelling. Top it all off with Michael, the Pure of Heart, coming down to protect one lowly pregnant woman, and you've got a great idea for a movie.

But this was not a great film. The dialogue left a lot to be desired and some of the character arcs were bit flimsy. And while I enjoy Paul Bettany without his shirt on as much as the next girl, I would have liked to have seen more hand to hand combat. I mean, you can't tell me that with angels attacking the earth, all it takes to beat them is a few loaded guns with normal bullets? Shouldn't celestial bronze come into play here? And the angels sure gave them a lot of down time in between their attacks. If they really wanted that girl and her baby dead, you would think that they would have tried a little harder.

So on the CWeave Scale of 1 (utter shit) to 10 (utter brilliance), I would say that "Legion" falls at about a 5 (not bad, but not good either). I'd wait for a rental on this one.

1 comment:

  1. you're right: the writing was ATROCIOUS, laughable and reminiscent of a film with 1/10th the budget. but i'd be lying if i said i was bored at any point.

    ReplyDelete