Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Get Him to the Greek" - in theaters

I read a review of this film in Entertainment Weekly before I saw it, and I must say that I agree with the writer's statement regarding the health of it's star, Jonah Hill. He is seriously unhealthy, and there were times when I couldn't concentrate on the film because I was so focused on that. Not good.

Overall though, this movie was very entertaining, although not as funny as I hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong though, this film will totally make you laugh out loud in certain places.

The main character is Aaron Green, played by Jonah Hill, who is a lowly assistant to Sergio (P. Diddy), the head exec of a record company. When sales are down, Green comes up with an idea to have a concert where Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) will perform. The only issue is that Aldous Snow is a drunk, drug-addicted narcissist who hasn't had a hit song in over 3 years. But Aaron, a true fan, is determined to get him to the theater.

Needless to say, hi-jinks ensue, some of which are hilarious (like when they stop in Vegas and Jeffrey shows up), some are touching, and some are somewhat disgusting (threesome anyone?). You feel bad for Aaron, who pretty much has to do anything Aldous wants him to, not to mention an emasculating doctor girlfriend (played by Elisabeth Moss) who wants to move to Seattle and with whom Aaron just had a major fight with.

The cameos were fantastic but I was a little disappointed that Jason Segel didn't show up. After all, Aldous is a character for Segel's screenplay "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", so I had my fingers crossed for him to appear.

So on the CWeave scale, I rate this movie a 6. It's pretty funny, and it might get funnier with another viewing, but that won't be happening any time soon. I had to take points off for Jonah Hill and my concern over his health, but extra points for P. Diddy, who was frickin' hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment