Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"Sex and the City 2" - in theaters

Right off the bat, I'm going to disclose that I did NOT want to see this film. Unfortunately though, when you're having a college reunion, the majority rules, so I went, kicking and screaming, to the theater.

The reason I didn't want to see this movie exists on a few levels. A. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, mostly because I didn't have HBO. I've seen most of the episodes, but I was never too impressed. And B. I saw the first movie and thought it blew.

That being said, I found this movie to be more entertaining than the first, but overall, it kind of stunk. The show of Sex and the City focused on four women: Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker), Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall), Charlotte York (Kristen Davis), and Miranda Hobbs (Cynthia Nixon). (And can I just say that I should get bonus points for knowing their first AND last names!) All of these women had different careers and love lives, but the heart of the show revolved on the friendship that existed between these women.

The second film in this franchise did these women a disservice. First off, Samantha is OBSESSED with being younger to the point where she's taking all of these hormone supplements (which, as a breast cancer survivor [and oh yeah, they never mention that] is totally unbelievable), trying her best to delay menopause. I found it to just come off as shallow. Charlotte is having trouble with motherhood even though she has a full-time live-in nanny. Carrie and Big (who I think to be a total douche-bag) have hit a slump, and Miranda hates her job. Suddenly Samantha gets an all expense paid trip to Abu-Dhabi (because that happens to everyone!), and they're all whisked off for fun in the desert. Once they get there, it's all indulgence all the time, and wouldn't you know it, but Carrie runs into Aiden while simultaneously losing her passport?

Out of all of that crap, I found Miranda's story to be the most relate-able. She also had some great ensembles that she sported. Not all of them, but when she rocks the green dress at the nightclub, it is fabulous!

However, most of the clothes were WRETCHED. Seriously. At one point, Carrie is wearing acid-washed parachute pants. When has that EVER been okay???? WHEN??

Ugh.

Bottom line: it's all glitzy and fabulous and has absolutely no relevance to 99.9% of the women that will go to see this film. So on the CWeave scale, I rate it a 4. It had a few laughs, but I couldn't get past some of the character flaws, not to mention the 2 hour and 25 minute running time.

No comments:

Post a Comment